The Ultimate Solution for Cleaning Your Lenses
By Essilor News
Those who wear glasses are all to familiar with the situation - no matter how hard you try, your lenses at one point or another are going to get dirty. What makes them grimy, you ask? Here are just a few of the culprits:
- Rain - impossible to escape it!
- Little fingers - Little children are always curious and grabbing at glasses when they're within reach.
- Cooking - Where there is grease, there are smudges ...
- Tissues - When flu and cold season hits, tissues are guaranteed to leave paper particles stuck to lenses.
- Itchy eyes - You know that moment: trying to rub your eyes and forgetting you are wearing glasses - until your finger bumps into the lens.
Between the rain, sticky kisses from a child and all the rest of it, it's impossible to see anything by the end of the day. Cleaning lenses isn't just an option any more - it's an absolute necessity!
For clean, clear vision, it's important to care for lenses, paying particular attention to how you clean them.
There are four different cleaning options:
1. Quick fixes
You manage with what you have within reach - even if It isn't always the best of solutions...
Papertowels. Consequence: scratches.
Clothing . Consequence: scratches and dust.
When you think about it, quick fixes are just that: quick fixes. They don't provide a real cleaning solution.
2. Others solutions which work
Sometimes limiting, but always effective, you might be familiar with a few of these:
- White vinegar with water. This is an excellent cleaning solution, but the smell isn't always appealing.
- Add a drop of dish washing liquid to some water. It removes stains and cleans the frame as well.
- Visit your Eye Care Professional who could use an ultrasound bath to clean your eyeglasses thoroughly.
It is strongly advised not to use house-cleaning products that can damage the lenses as well as the frame.
3. Microfibre cleaning cloth for glasses.
Don't underestimate the power of a microfibre cleaning cloth - usually provided by your eyecare professional. The cloth is specifically created to leave lenses absolutely spotless when you wipe them on a daily basis.
Dust and dirt cling to the cloth allowing for quick and efficient lens cleaning. It is important to keep the cloth in a closed eyeglass case as it easily attracts household dust. With the cloth on hand at all times, you will always be able to clean your glasses, any time and any where you like! Extremely dirty lenses should first be cleaned in warm water with a drop of dish washing liquid (do not use hand soap as it can leave streaks) before being wiped with a cloth. A lens cleaning solution can also be substituted for the dish soap.
Recommendation for cleaning the lens cloth: Hand wash the cloth in dish soap (no fabric softner). The cloth should be washed every month.
4. The ultimate solution: treated lenses
While the methods listed above might do the trick, nothing beats treated lenses. Certain treatments - such as the Crizal family of treatments - protect lenses from a whole range of conditions. The anti-glare treatment, for example, guards against scratches and dirt while repelling water and dust. These treatments are applied during the lens fabrication process. Lenses need less cleaning and stay pristine longer!
This last solution ensures that your lenses are always spotless. Clean, clear vision becomes a way of life!